When you buy a high-quality tree, plant it correctly, and treat it properly, you and your tree will benefit greatly in many ways for many years.
When you buy a low-quality tree, you and your tree will have many costly problems even if you take great care in planting and maintenance.
What Determines Tree Quality?
A high-quality tree has
- enough sound roots to support healthy growth.
- a trunk free of mechanical wounds and wounds from incorrect pruning.
- a strong form with well-spaced, firmly attached branches.
A low-quality tree has
- crushed or circling roots in a small root ball or small container.
- a trunk with wounds from mechanical impacts or incorrect pruning.
- a weak form in which multiple stems squeeze against each other or branches squeeze against the trunk.
Any of these problems alon...